Humans are the only creatures in the world which can very quickly formulate, evoke and exhibit different types of emotions. Anger, sorrow, sadness, bliss, loneliness are few of them. Happiness is one of the most celebrated and highest of all sentiments which has many benefits. There is a specific day dedicated to the laughter which comes along with happiness. In this article, we are going to dive deep into facts about World Laughter Day and its benefits.
This article will provide insights into the following topics:
- World Laughter Day 2021: Date, History, Importance and Health Benefits
- World Laughter Day 2021
- World Laughter Day Theme 2021
- Why World Laughter Day is celebrated?
What is World Laughter Day?
Every year World Laughter Day is celebrated on the first week in the month of May. In this year, World Laughter Day 2020, was celebrated on Sunday, third of May. Next year, World Laughter Day 2021 will be celebrated on Sunday, 2nd of May. Now, this is an annual event celebrated all over the world as its benefits are quite wholesome. According to Charlie Chaplin, the famous comic artist known for silent comedies says "A day without laughter is a day wasted" which is very true in this modern context. We are too glued to our materialistic life to realise that emotions play a vital role in life. Without emotions, many problems arise, starting from miscommunication to commitment issues. Happiness is a positive emotion which should not be controlled or not expressed. It must be revealed to show yourself as a happy person.
History of World Laughter Day
World Laughter day commenced as an annual event in the year 2008. Dr. Madan Kataria arranged the event in Mumbai, India, which is now celebrated as a world event. Dr. Madan Kataria is a famous personality when it comes to laughter therapy and yoga. According to him, laughter can positively change people. People in abroad also started to take this day seriously as they realised its benefits.
How is World Laughter Day celebrated?
World Laughter Day is celebrated in many ways worldwide. The following are a few instances of how it is organised.
- As far as abroad is concerned, they organise several laughter clubs where they share jokes, talk, laugh, and dance together.
- These laughter clubs organise a larger event in a public space like a park or big grounds with their family members, friends, neighbours and even strangers.
- They conduct marathons and walk while holding pluck cards in their hands and walk for promoting peace around the world.
- Loud laughter with yelling in this walking parades creates a positive impact and positivity.
- People conduct laughter yoga in open spaces like beaches.
A modern exercise which is very popular among older people than younger people is Laughter Yoga. People stand in a circle and force voluntary loud waves of laughter. Eye contact is very essential in this exercise because when you spot someone laughing involuntary laughing turns into a voluntary one. When done in large groups, there is a great amount of playfulness involved which makes things funnier. The mind or our brain doesn't know we are faking it. The benefits of laughter are achieved even when we fake it.
Advantages of Laughter Yoga
Yoga as such is very healthy and refreshing to do which increases our lifetime. Laughter and yoga together is a blessing in disguise. The following are the benefits of Laughter Yoga:
- Laughter Yoga improves the blood circulation in your body. Therefore, all the body parts function properly and correctly.
- Laughter Yoga begins with a mild workout session which is refreshing and also burns fat to some extent.
- Laughter Yoga ensures there is a proper channelling of oxygen to our body parts.
- This will inevitably make you look young, refreshing, fit and happy.
- Laughter Yoga helps to develop a sense of humour. This will make you look more appealing, and you will laugh more in real life.
Advantages of Laughter
- Laughing creates a positive impact on the people around us and us.
- It relaxes our body, our muscles and moods.
- Laughing brings peace which is very important in the current chaos of our world.
- It makes you look young as it reduces frown lines on the face.
- A smile increases the blood circulation in the face, which makes you look young too.
- The releasing of a chemical in the system called endorphins triggers good feelings in the body.
- Immunity system becomes stronger, the more you laugh in your lifetime.
- It is said that laughing adds eight whole years to your life.
- It releases the tension which is building emotionally, physically and spiritually.
- Laughing burns calories incredibly in our body. Therefore it helps us to burn our body fat too.
How to laugh and be happy
- Read comics or funny novels which is meant either for adults or children.
- Watch romantic comedy movies or comedy movies to create a shift in mood swings.
- Watch series and standup comedy in Netflix and other platforms. This will also definitely plaster a smile across your face.
- Go out and remember you are a part of nature. Use grounding techniques to make yourself calm and happy.
- Play with babies or pet animals if possible. If not watch videos of babies or cats because it makes our body secrete serotonin, the happy chemical which adjusts our mood.
- Do something you like. For example, reading, doodling, colouring etc.
- Be grateful for what you are today.
- Never forget to count your blessings.
- If you are a spiritual person, do not forget to meditate. If you are a religious person, do not forget to pray.
- Last but not the least, be positive, happy and calm. Emit good vibrations which will for sure, find its way back to you.
Benefits of World Laughter Day
Earlier, in this article, we discussed the different ways to be happy as a person. World Laughter Day is celebrated in a larger group with their family and acquaintances. The following are the perks of celebrating World Laughter Day:
- Happiness is indeed an individual job, but when done in a group, it becomes more effective.
- When two or more people are talking and laughing a beautiful bond, something inseparable is created in between them.
- Trust over the bond is formed only when they laugh together.
- People who have commitment issues do not laugh together as they do not laugh together. World Laughter Day brings an opportunity to bind people together.
- The peace, which is very necessary for chaos, gets established at such an event. As the number of people is more, the impact of peace established is more too.
- Good vibrations and positivity spread rapidly through the World Laughter Day event. As the number of people are more, the vibrational level is more too.
- World Laughter Day gives you an opportunity to meet new people, interact with them and get to know new things.
- Gaining new friends is an advantage, and it makes your circle more large and strong.
- You will have something very good to do in a weekend at once in a year.
- It will definitely leave a mark forever etched in your mind and heart.
There are many Happy World Laughter Day quotes available online which gets circulated on that day. Overall, these are the few facts about World Laughter Day and remember, "A smile starts on the lips, a grin spreads to the eyes, a chuckle comes from the belly; but a good laugh bursts forth from the soul, overflows, and bubbles all around".
Co-author: Akshaya Saravana Kumar
Akshaya is currently pursuing Masters in English Literature. She is an avid reader, an animal lover and a movie freak. She loves to spend her past time travelling to strange places in different time zones with her imagination and fall in love with fictional characters.